Thursday, February 24, 2011

Day 22 – Something that upsets you

WARNING: THIS POST IS A LITTLE GRAPHIC. IF YOU HAVE A WEAK STOMACH, I SUGGEST SKIPPING THIS ONE... Love, Kelsey

I had my first REAL experience with this thing last night.
I didn't get any sleep.
That's not what I'm going to blog about, but that does upset me.

What I am going to tell you about is how my husband was dog sick.

It was about 6:30 when I got the text from my husband telling me that he had vomited twice. I got a little worried, of course, but it was just my luck that I ended up not getting home until an hour later :( He was laying on the couch, writhing. I got him some crackers, some Sprite, a bottle of Gatorade, and applesauce... He then continued to vomit almost an average of 3x an hour after that.
I called our friend Eliot twice in a frenzy, hoping he could come and give a blessing to him. I tried contacting our home teachers and friends from our ward, but they either didn't answer or I didn't have a phone number for them. I paced and paced. Then at about 10:30, Bryan said he wanted to try and go to sleep.
We said prayers together, then got into bed.
I couldn't fall asleep. Or, I guess, I wouldn't let myself fall asleep. I read a little, texted my mom, and waited--hoping that Eliot would call back.
After an hour, my phone rang.
"What's going on?" Eliot said into the phone. He knew something had to be wrong.
I told him what had happened and asked him to come give a priesthood blessing to Bryan. He said he would, and showed up with a friend to help administer at about 10 after midnight.
I had been bawling. Bryan had been vomiting more. I think he was up to 15 times when Eliot got there. The blessing he gave was simple, and I prayed as I sat and listened to the words said.
After they were finished, Eliot looked at me and asked if I needed one.
I did.
So, as he began to speak, I wouldn't let myself calm. But the Spirit told me to relax and listen to what he was saying. He told me that this would pass. That my love for my husband was strong. That I needed to be patient and understand the healing power of the atonement at this time. It was exactly what I needed to hear.
Eliot and Devin left.
We tried, going to sleep, but the night wasn't over yet.
After that, every hour at 10 til the hour, Bryan was in the bathroom.

What am I trying to get at?

What upset me is that my husband was suffering.
And there was nothing I could do about it.

I've felt this feeling before, but never to this degree do I recall ever feeling this much. I was scared. I was angry. All I could do was sit and watch and console, but not comfort.

It was hard. I'm just glad he was able to get some sleep this morning. Now I have to manage to find the energy to get through work today.

No comments:

Post a Comment