Thursday, February 3, 2011

Day 02 – Your first love


Musicals
As dumb as it sounds, it's true.
I would watch a Disney movie almost every day growing up, because I loved to sing all the songs.
A few distinct memories of my Disney song obsession:

1. I was watching Pocahontas. You know the song toward the end when she is racing through the forest and then makes it to the mountain top just in time to save John Smith from getting beheaded by her father? I remember running around the family room, singing with her, and then when she flung herself on John Smith, I flung myself onto the recliner and "protected" the pillow. Oh yeah. That's a true story



2. The Little Mermaid was my FAVORITE movie as a child. We had a porch in our backyard that was a square one, but it had this perfect little corner that I could pull myself up on. Well, that was my rock when I sang "Part of Your World." Especially when I sang the reprise and the "waves" of the "sea" would crash up behind me as I sang, "WOOOOOOOOORRRLLLDD!!!!" Yeah. Another true story.



Then I discovered REAL musicals. My parents had gotten the Special Edition 10 Year Anniversary concert of Les Miserables on VHS. I watched it twice in one day. Then, they got the cd. I hijacked it and kept it in my room. I did a little concert to my Beanie Babies one day when I was 9 years old and I sang "I Dreamed A Dream" to them. When I was in 6th grade, the choir sang "Castle on a Cloud." I didn't have to look at the music once. Yeah. I was a G. I would watch The Music Man with my dad ALL THE TIME and he would tell me stories of when he had helped choreograph for it when he was in high school. He was a rockstar to me :)

No comments:

Post a Comment