Tuesday, December 29, 2009

The Engagement Story

On December 4th, 2009, Bryan and I were attending the Thacker Family Christmas Party. Now, at this party, the family sits and sings carols for a few minutes and one of the songs was "The 12 Days of Christmas." I thought I would be funny and sing "one white gold ring" instead of "5 golden rings" just to tease him, that time being when we were really getting serious about our marriage talk.
Tonight December 24, 2009, we were caroling with the Thacker side of Bryan's family. It's a tradition that they go caroling on Christmas eve to all their friends in the neighborhood. Well, one neighbor asked that we sing The 12 Days of Christmas. I kinda humfed and frumped because I don't know all the words and it's just a long song hahaha. So we get to the last verse and we're going down the line...
12...
11...
10... (see? even now I don't know what belongs to what number)
9...
8...
7...
6...
And instead of singing 5 golden rings, they all sang: One White Gold Ring!
I looked over and Bryan had a little white box in his hand.
The next few seconds were kind of a blur... I screamed, put my hands to my mouth, started crying, backed into Bryan's grandpa, my mom, and my sister Kylie who all commenced in pushing me back toward my soon-to-be fiance. Bryan got down on one knee and told me, "Kelsey, I knew since the first time I sat next to you that I was going to marry you. You have taken this sinking ship and you've pointed it home. I feel at home with you, and, If you'll have me..." He then took my hand (that I had to slip out of my glove because it all was happening so fast) and slipped a ring onto my finger. "Kelsey Grace Mariner, will you marry me?"
I couldn't say anything, I was crying with so much joy! I just nodded and he took me up into his arms and everyone started cheering! I turned around and I hugged my future in-laws and showed off my ring and then I hugged my family. As I hugged my mom and said, "Mommy, I'm getting married!" and more tears came down my face. There was so much love there and the spirit just rang out so strong. I'm getting sealed to my sweetheart for time and all eternity next year and I can't wait!

No comments:

Post a Comment